2018 Cryo-EM School
The 2018 Fall Cryo-EM School will take place at The Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN). From the 22 Oct until the 16 Nov, 6 participants will receive hands-on Titan Krios training from the experienced NeCEN EM scientists and Thermo Fisher applications support team. The possibility to bring your own sample exists.
In addition to the Cryo-EM School, a 3-day Image Processing Course will be organised in collaboration with the Biocomputing Unit of the Spanish National Center for Biotechnology (CNB). The data that you collected during the EM School (or tutorial data) can be processed under the supervision of CNB instructors.
NeCEN, Leiden University, the Netherlands
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- The Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN)
- The Biocomputing Unit of the Spanish National Center for Biotechnology (CNB)
The curriculum is divided in two parts.
- Online lectures about the theory of cryo-EM single particle analysis as well as practical demonstrations by Grant Jensen (CalTech) and Matthijn Vos (Thermo Fisher Scientific) (http://em-learning.com). The school participants have to follow the online course and take the self-evaluation test before coming to NeCEN for practicals hands-on training.
- Hands-on practicals on the different aspects taught online.
- Cryo-EM sample freezing on a vitrobot
- Cryo-EM grids clipping and loading for autoloader systems
- Cryo-EM sample screening
- Krios alignments
- Automated Single Particle Data Acquisition with EPU
- Basics of image processing within Scipion Environment in the cloud
If you are interested in participating, please contact Matthijn Vos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course gives you 4 weeks access to 2 Krios microscopes equipped with Falcon3 and K2 cameras, 2 dedicated expert teachers, housing with breakfast, and lunch during the course days as well as transportation on site. Not included is travel to Leiden and dinners. The non-profit costs are ~30.000 euro or an equivalent of 30 days pre-purchased Thermo Fisher Scientific on-site application support.
For more information, please contact Susanne Roodhuyzen at S.A.Roodhuijzen@biology.leidenuniv.nl.